acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

Check emission control system message came on my 2005 Acura

Customer Question

Check emission control system message came on my 2005 Acura RL
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. Fill up full tank and tighten gas cap. That's all I did.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: Yes. Just bought the car from dealer.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Looks everything working well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 10 months ago.

There are many things that can turn the check engine light on. Fortuinetly in this vehicle it will tell you why the light is on. Do this : press the info button on the navi and then messages . The screen will then show a DIAG info button select this and post back what it tells you there may be more than one message.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One message only. P0420

That code means that the catalytic converter has failed. This does not necessarily make the car run bad or damage anything. However it will not pass a smog test or inspection if there is one in your state. If you just bought the car from a dealer hopefully they have some type of warranty they offer and will fix this for you . The part cost about $440.00 and the labor usually runs about $400 so it is not a cheap repair. The part number of the part is 18290-RJA-A00 and this Catalytic converter is behind the engine next to the windshield.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.