acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

Ran car to empty stupid I know put gas in check engine light

Customer Question

Ran car to empty stupid I know put gas in check engine light and tsa light righted gas cap drove it to Oreillys attached to there machine and said misfiring on cylinder one could it be clogged fuel injector? A cure 2003 tl
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately? Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The light flickers and performance is diwn
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It was running great probably could use tune up ? Can't put a lot of money into repairs tight budget
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

Does the car run rough? Is the light blinking at all now? Did the auto part store clear the code for you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still blinking riding rough
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Auto place did not clear code
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do I need to get tuneup?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it going to cost a lot?
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

Most likely you will need a tune up and maybe one of the coils . We see the coils fail on these from time to time. I would start by replacing the coil on cylinder #1 and see how it runs. It is almost never necessary to replace all the coils ,So just replace the bad one. They cost about $120 each. The best way to test them is to unplug each coil one at a time and listen to the engine. Every time one is unpluged the engine will slow down, If you unplug one and the engine stays the same that is the bad one. There are other things like a stuck EGR Valve or vacuum leak that can cause this but when it only codes on one cylinder it is almost always a coil.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.