acuragold74, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  17 years with honda master tech

2004 RL, A/c blows Ice cold but switches off. The controls

Customer Question

Hi Pearl; 2004 RL, A/c blows Ice cold but switches off. The controls were on the navigation and have gone gray, just the old auto and up/down button. It runs when on full auto, but then seems to switch off when it thinks it has hit appropriate temp?? then hard to switch on or adjust fan speed and settings. Any help? Thanks, Mike
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: those are all good. I changed out the radiator, hoses, water pump and flushed system last year.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: probably have my shade tree guy do the heavy lifting. He is a 30 year mechanic, mainly focused on hondas, but would hate to not have an idea where to start and have him replacing big parts unnecessarily.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no, just need some guidance, thanks, Mike
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is an 2004 Acura RL w Navigation. Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE master tech, glad to help you out with this.

I would replace the display so you can see what setting you are on. You could be right, the ac shuts off automatically if your cabin temp is at a certain temp. I would search for a used display on of ebay.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have?

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan, any other thoughts? I do not think it is related to the display as the other buttons will work though switch off at certain points. The navigation AC display has the options on it to change the fan speed and to put ac in econ mode while the buttons on the panel control on/off, temp, etc.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Ok I see, when you say it blows cold then shuts off, do you mean the blower stops blowing air or just stops blowing cold? does it change driving on highway vs sitting at a stoplight?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
blower continues blowing, just air temp changes. it changes no matter the driving condition, sometimes on the highway, sometimes while sitting. Seems like it waits until it hits the temp set on dial and the "full" auto then switches to auto with the "full" disappearing and then the cool seems to not be running. crazy huh
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Pretty tough to diagnose without seeing it.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Im not going to be able to help you farther with this, I am going to opt out and another expert will help you shortly. thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  acuragold74 replied 3 months ago.

Ok been working on Honda/Acura for over 20 years.Believe it or not I have seen techs replace blend doors,heater control panels,as well as blower resistor .When the entire time the issue is the ECM is not giving the correct signal to the a/c system for it to operate correctly .So they need to focus on the ECM before replacing parts that costs thousands of dollars.This is the next step.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks .Bonuses greatly appreciated..