Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

Code p2279 after cleaning throttle body with crc throttle

Customer Question

code p2279 after cleaning throttle body with crc throttle body cleaner.
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I did reset it dozen times but keeps coming back. I relearned it, replaced pcv valve and replaced map sensor too.
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2005 acura mdx
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced pcv, map. I test the oxygen sensor and it looks find.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I can't find any leak on the intake.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I have misfire code before I cleaned the throttle body.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means idle relearn needs to be done, here is procedure. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

The idle relearn procedure is as follows:

1. Clear memory with battery cables or scan tool.

2. Start engine with all electrical loads off and hold at 3000 RPM until the cooling fan cycles, then let the engine idle for 5 min and if the cooling fan turns on idling the 5 min of idle time, add that time to the 5 min. Example: if the cooling fan was on for 45 seconds, let the engine idle for 5 min and 45 seconds.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already did this several times.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I also disconnect the battery for a good 30 minutes.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some ideas. If you weren't getting code before cleaning throttle body then relearn should help, if not I'll see if someone else can shed some light on situation. Someone will reply automatically when they can help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have P0300, P0303, P0304, P0305 (misfire) before I cleaned the throttle body. Now I only have P2279 and no more misfire codes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Probably my next move is to replace the egr valve.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Or I'll just bring it to the dealership for repair?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vacuum reading is at 18 -22Hg.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oxygen sensor looks okay because I checked it and it fluctuates between 0.1-0.9 Volts.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Air/Fuel ratio is around 14.6 - 14.8 all the time.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hope these information can help. I'm running out of option except to get an answer here in JustAnswer or the Acura Dealership.
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 8 months ago.

My experience of P2279 is that the ecu is determining that more air is entering the engine than is passing the mass air flow sensor.

I agree with your theory of checking the egr valve as this is high on the list, I would also consider checking the mass air flow sensor as this is providing the readings the ecu is calculating from.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no Mass Air Flow sensor on this model. Just MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor.

I will have access to the data programs when I get to the office, it's 0820 am here at the moment, I will look up the manufacture's diagnostic chart and come back to you shortly.

Made a call, someone is already in.

It would appear that you need to check the camshaft timing, I include the manufacture's diagnostics procedure.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue, please rate five stars ;)

Let me know if you want the timing information.

Do you have access to the Honda Diagnostic System or are you using a alternate scanner?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm just using a Bluetooth OBD II scanner and Torque apps on my smartphone. I think I have done a DIY person can do. A camshaft timing is too remote for me to do. I will set an appointment with Acura repair shop tomorrow. If they find the problem is Camshaft timing, I'll give you 5 star rating/credit. Thank you!

The procedure I sent you is from Honda/Acura - I would follow it exactly, paying attention to the air leaks, a hand held mitty vac or similar would be useful.

If their own procedure leads you to the camshaft timing, then I would follow it up, I've worked through the diagnostic procedures many times at the uk factory and they are usually spot on with only the odd exception.

Camshaft timing is likely to be a big job, I would fully follow the diagnostics procedure first, it is the same as they will have access to most likely.

I fear that if the timing is out, it may be time for a new timing belt set.

Good luck, please do let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have the timing belt and water pump replaced a little over a year ago. Acura shop did the job. I will keep you posted.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already set an appointment with Acura shop on July 2nd.

If you would consider rating, this does not close the thread and you are welcome to come back to me.

The procedures I've sent you are what the dealer would use, if followed, they will be right.

I only get credit towards my time and research if rated.