sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Check antenna in xm and only receiving about half of xm

Customer Question

Check antenna in xm and only receiving about half of xm channels. Is the xm antenna the shark fin or the think on the rear window. What part of the antenna system would most likely produce that problem.
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2006 RL sorry meant to include that
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a friend who is a Mercedes mechanic helping me
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am also getting a battery drain he traced to the antenna system so we think it is all part of the same problem
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: Battery is fine the drain will bring the battery down to the level I need a jump in 48-72 hours if not driven. He detected excessive drain when car off that disappeared when disconnecting the antenna
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If the satellite radio works at all then you don't have an antenna problem causing the lack of some channels. Not having access to all channels could be a subscription issue, the radio may be set up that way, or there may be a radio/satellite receiver issue.

How long have you owned the vehicle?