thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

When your vehicle is cold. what level should the 50/50

Customer Question

when your vehicle is cold. what level should the 50/50 radiator mixture be ?
When i remove the cap should i see liquid resting at the top ?
We have a overheating concern with a 1990 acura integral and we just had a new thermostat installed. assuming the thermostat is good what would cause it to overheat at a stop but cool down while moving ? we also tested the overheating behavior with ac running and just fan running both seemed to cause no rise in temp only when stop and go. when we were at a stop and engaged ac & fan at a stop in sun it seemed to behave normal.
Stop and go w ac seems to be the issue
Category: Acura
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

The coolant level should be up to the filler neck and between the min and max lines on the reservoir bottle. I would add the 50/50 mix, top up the radiator and reservoir bottle then see what it does. Might just be too low. Probably didn't get filled all the way or there was an air pocket that worked itself out. Now it's low.

So it overheats when you are going slow or stopped but it is OK if you have the A/C on with the fans running?