Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

My AC on '04 TL has been working great. Got caught up n

Customer Question

My AC on '04 TL has been working great. Got caught up n traffic jam and turned AC off cause my temp gauge was rising n I didn't want anything to go wrong. Got out of traffic n an hr and turned AC back on. All I'm getting is warm air. Clutch on compressor is not turning on.
Tried again the next morning.
Clutch not attempting to do anything.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Your first step to see why the compressor isn't coming on would be to check the refrigerant pressures. The pressure switch won't allow the compressor to turn on if the refrigerant pressures are too low.

Also, if you have a multi-meter you could test for voltage at the ac clutch connector. With the engine running and the AC on you should see 12 volts at the connector. If you don't then you know the problem is probably low Freon rather than a bad AC clutch.

How much repair/diagnosis do you plan to do yourself?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My mech. ability is replace a fuse or reset a relay.
Acura appt is next Monday. Just concerned on big ticket items.
Dealership has been honest w/ me since 2004. TL now has 271,000.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It's really hard to say if this one is going to turn into a big ticket or if it will be something as common (but still sort of expensive) as an ac recharge.

Unfortunately you will need to be able to do some testing with some specialized equipment (multi-meter, scan tool) to know for sure.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you are able to get a hold of a scan tool and if you decide to do any diagnosis yourself.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any additional info.