acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

I have a good-running 2002 Acura 3.2 TL. with great engine

Customer Question

I have a good-running 2002 Acura 3.2 TL. with great engine and transmission. None of the electronics or headlights work, neither do the window or dash.l I loaned it out for about three months to a family member and this is the way it was returned to me. I don't have thousands; can you tell what could possibly be the problem just from reading this?
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like a main fuse problem. Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We had the whole fuse box replaced and still none of these things are working. My husband tested it with the volt meter when it came back from the repair shop, and the meter shows a short in the harness on the passenger side under the dash.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He disconnected the harness and the short clears up.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

What fuse box did you replace? There are 4 in this car. Did you use a new one ? Was the car in an accident?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fuse box we replaced was the one with the relays under the hood. Yes we used a new one. No, but I understand that a copper penny got lodged into the cigarette lighter. Also he overfused the fuse that controls the heat and air with aluminum foil paper.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

OH BOY! Well then, Remove the radio and take the glove box out and inspect the harnesses To see if it is melted together. There really isn't a procedure for bypassing the fuses . The next step is Just to expose an much of the harness as possible and look for melted wires and repair them. Be sure to look at the ground connections at both ends of the dash and the blower motor harness .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for that information. I will look at what you recommended and I will get back in touch with you. thanks!
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

ok let me know what you find.