thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

Chad, here. You helped last weekend with my 96 Acura RL 3.5.

Customer Question

Chad, Jim here. You helped last weekend with my 96 Acura RL 3.5.
The help with the cooling system seems to have worked.
Now my issue is that it cranks over real strong and even got a new battery for it but it still wont start. Ive been told its my fuel pump relay. Is that right? Not the fuel pump itself?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

hey how are you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not bad. Hotter than hell in nebraska.
I cant believe the problems with this car.!!!!

well are we get fuel to the rail, when you open the switch from off to on , u should hear the pump prime the fuel lines for 3 to 5 secs , if you dont heart it run , then u have an issue with it,

could be relay or fuse or pump ,but if u getting fuel then , ckp sensor usualy goes out on them

did u check if u getting spark

it must be nebraska hot weather messing with it .lol

what day was it i helped you last week , do u know an exact date , thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually i will need to look at it myself tomorrow. The ex new boyfriend thought it was the battery so the fools went and bought a new one. What do you think happened? Same thing with no fix.
The day we were working on the cooling system it did seem to hard start then but it did eventually turn over and that's how we drove it around and tested it to see if there's any leaks or any cooling problems. Then my daughter ended up taking it and called me back that night and said that when she got off the interstate it had died. Somebody jump started it and got at home, and used again the next morning which it quit and wouldnt start at all.
So I will have to check to see if I hear that pump motor sometime tomorrow and then I guess we'll see. If I do hear the pump do you think it might be more of the relay? And I've heard if you take that relay out and look at the soldered connections and then resolder it together it might work instead of buying a new one. Have you heard anything about that?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was last friday the 10th and sat the 11th.

ok cool ,thanks, ***** ***** look up the call.

the way it is acting is more of what a crank shaft sensor , i thought u meant car done runat all now , i rarely changed a fuel pump on acura 3.5 liter but we can check the relay, get some contact cleaner make sure the socket were the relay goes in , didn't not get hot and melted and losing contact over pumps on the road

sure u can resolder them , if that is all that is wrong with it, honestly , i have so many of them , in 20 years collecting from cars :), I will give you one if you came to my shop

is the check engine light on

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The car won't start at all now. yeah that's not a bad idea all located pull it out check all the connections cleaning put it back in and find out of that might be the problem. I'll do that first and then I'll contact you again. I really really appreciate your help

sure no problem , happy to do it .you can always upload a picture here for me to see if u r not sure about something

when u check the fuel pump priming or not tomorrow , if does run ,and u have a fuel test checked the pressure we getting

and did u ran a scan what were the codes

sure i will be around tomorrow

Fuel pump Relay location

figured that might help

PGM/MAIN RELAY , IT IS 2 RELAYS IN ONE