Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech

The check charging system light came on the a bunch of

Customer Question

The check charging system light came on the a bunch of different alerts and my car lost all power. im having it towed today to a mechanic. it was in accident back in March and they had to replace the transsmison. first it wouldnt go into reverse and then it was barely getting power. idk if it has to do with the accident and the repairs i didnt have any problems before the accident. my car lost all power and wont start at all
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No, it gets no power at all. The battery is about 7 months old
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im having it towed for a diagnosis because it was in an accident and i have only had it back for not even 2 months after the repairs
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The check charging system light comes on when the alternator stops charging and when the alternator stops charging the battery will slowly loose its charge even if its new. Because you lost charging system power and the voltage dropped that would cause the other warnings to come on. In most cases this type of problem is going to be a failing alternator. The place to start would be to charge the dead battery up and start the engine and check the alternator output voltage. If the alternator is charging you should see right at 14 volts with the engine running. Any thing less would me the alternator has failed.