thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

My 2007 Acura tl type s wont start. When i turn the ignition

Customer Question

My 2007 Acura tl type s wont start. When i turn the ignition on, the lights turn bright, as soon as i try to start it, the lights dim and wont start. New Battery/Good starter.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a Master and Advanced Level Certified Automotive Repair Technician with over 12 years experience and I've personally worked on over 25,000 vehicles. I see you have a question about your Type-S and I think I can help you. I had an 07 TL type S myself, just sold it last year.

Id like to begin by asking a couple questions. I'll need to do this as part of the procedure I'll create to diagnose your concern. First, you stated in your description that the starter and battery are both fine. Could you please elaborate on how you came to the conclusion that they are okay?

Again, please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. It is my goal to determine the cause and remedy for your concern. I look forward to a speedy repair! Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought a new Battery and took the starter off and had it checked out at a local shop. They put power to it and it was working.

Ok, that sounds great. Also, have you had a chance to check some additional basics, such as all fuses?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i can check all the small fuses but how do i check if all relays are working?

They make a small click when activating and deactivating. Let me know once you've checked all the fuses. Also, when attempting to start the vehicle, does the anti-theft light blink at you quickly? It is the green lamp on the right gauge pod above the fuel level indicator and temp gauge, it is shaped like a key.

Hello again, are you stil interested in help for your Acura? If so I'm available. I always aim for 5-star service, i know we haven't reached a diagnosis yet, however please let me know if I can better assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just checked all the fuses under the hood and all seem good.

Ok, thats great. Did you check the interior fuses as well? Also did you see my questions above about the green key lamp telltale on the dash?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
interior are also good and the green key lamp is not on.

So to clarify if you attempt to crank the vehicle over, and you return the key to the "on"position there is no green key lamp blinking quickly on the dash? I just want to make absolutely sure of this since it is a common issue.

If the above checks out ok, then the next step since you've already removed and tested the starter would be to see if the neutral safety switch is working correctly. I'll need to know if you have an automatic or the 6-speed manual

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its automatic. i was trying to send you a video but no luck. so when i try to turn on the car, the airbag light/abs and brake light stay on but no crank and nothing.

Ok no worries, the concern with dash lamps was primarily centered around the green key lamp above the fuel and temp gauges. Sometimes videos can be hard to send, I do have clients send me them on a near daily basis, but i've never tried it myself. I have heard if you're trying to send it from your phone it usually is hit and miss. Most people will end up emailing the video to themselves and then attaching it via Just Answer's computer/desktop interface.

Does the shift indicator on the dash read the vehicle in park when you're attempting to start it? If that checks out our next step will be to get into a little pinpoint electrical diagnosis.

As always, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thank you!