sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm trying to help a friend and have two issues w/her

Customer Question

hi, I'm trying to help a friend and have two issues w/her Acura(s).
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Acura. The Acura Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My friend has two Acura. One is quite new and the key fob is not responding. Basically locked out of the car. Also, on the other Acura, I'm trying to get a mileage read, but can't figure out what to do.
JA: Have you ever had to reprogram your fob? How old is the battery?
Customer: See, my friend has been away and has asked me to look at/start up her cars periodically. The fob is less than 6 mos. old.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried pushing on the fob
JA: Is there anything else the Acura Mechanic should be aware of about your Acura?
Customer: not that I know of. Just that it is fairly new.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was connected to an Acura Mechanic and had to put in credit card info for a $5 charge....after inputing all the necessary credit card information, I was not put in touch w/the mechanic--I was led to another page with a signup for additional charges. Now you have all of my credit card information and I have no answers.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the car doesn't respond to the fob it could be an issue with the keyless entry receiver, the battery could be dead, or the fob may not be transmitting. The fob itself could be bad or the fob battery could be dead.

Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will test key fobs for free. Are you able to have the fob tested to see if it's transmitting?

Are you able to remove the fob battery and test it with a voltmeter?