Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

Im working with my Acura dealer. He said my buletooth module

Customer Question

Im working with my Acura dealer. He said my buletooth module on my 2006 acura mdx is drawing power and causing me to have to jump car if I don't drive for a few days. Says new one can fix it. I have only had care for one year. Would like to replace and use the bluetooth but my question is...is the 2006 model bluetooth work well. I ask because I also have a 2006 mdx navigation (gps) works but is so antiquated I never use it.. Will I have the same problem if i replace the hands free module or will it work like today
JA: Does your device require a code?
Customer: my stereo/gps system, yes, but I have the code
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no - just want to get your opinion on whether a 2006 version of bluetooth module works like bluetooth today or like it's 10 years old.
JA: OK! The Acura Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Acura Mechanic should be aware of about your Acura?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, it's reasonably common for the Honda Bluetooth modules to cause power drain issues, I've diagnosed and seen a few myself also.

The 2006 version of Bluetooth, as you describe it, will not support the same Bluetooth profiles and functions as a modern unit and there are no retrofit options for a more modern unit that I am aware of.

Functions like music streaming via Bluetooth, etc, wouldn't be available as they would in more modern equipment.

Depending on the cost, i'd be inclined to just have the module unplugged, no more drain issues then get an aftermarket kit fitted away from the dealer!

I have the uk version of the Honda crv, the Bluetooth hands free phone book is irritating and it doesn't like taking calls initiated from the handset!