Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas

I have a 2010 Acura MDX and the car horn goes off reason

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 Acura MDX and the car horn goes off for no reason sometimes in the middle of the night. I have recently replaced the car battery but it went off in the middle of the night despite the new battery. Can you advise wha the source of the problem could be and if I can disable the alarm horn? and how? (I am a middle aged woman who knows little about cars). Thanks
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: No it's brand new- a week old. Shouldn't have low fluid should it?
JA: What is the model of your '10 Acura?
Customer: MDX
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I brought it into the dealership and they thought it might need a new battery because it hadn"t been driven all that much previously (my husband had just passed away). So, now I drive it regularly (daily) and replaced the battery- nothing else. Doors all properly closed. I turn it off at night using the unlock button on the key FOB.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: LOL- You tell me.... I know didly about cars.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 4 months ago.

Sorry you are having issues with your MDX, they are pretty cool SUV's!

I have had a MDX with that exact same complaint before, After replacing the battery, I adjusted the hood stops to allow the hood to seat fully down, and it would still do it.
I finally found the "Clock Spring" or "Spiral Cable" was the issue. the horn circuit goes through the clock spring which sits right behind the steering wheel. Luckily its not a terribly expensive repair. Are you looking to repair this your self?