acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

M 2005 Acura MDX makes a grinding noise in the rear when I

Customer Question

Hello.. M 2005 Acura MDX makes a grinding noise in the rear when I turn either left or right.
JA: Which part of the car is the noise coming from? Would you describe the noise as frequent or constant?
Customer: It sounds like from the wheels and it is constant.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I only hear this grinding noise in the rear wheel hub only when I turn.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, trying to figure out what could cause it.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have changed pads and rotor.
JA: Is there anything else the Acura Mechanic should be aware of about your Acura?
Customer: No there are no other problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

Have you changed the oil in the rear differential lately? and if so did you use the Acura VTM-4 fluid? If not try this first the fluid breaks down and causes the rear diff to grind when turning . Also using any fluid other than VTM-4 fluid can cause the differential to make noise.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** try that. If that does not work is there anything else I could try?
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

Check that the backing plates are not rusted or touching the rotor. But 99% of the time when these grind when turning the diff fluid is the cause.