Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

I'm getting a P0299 error and was told that my wastegate is

Customer Question

I'm getting a P0299 error and was told that my wastegate is stucken
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: open
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2007 acura rdx
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm hoping to, but I haven't done anything so far. I took it into a dealership to look at it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The dealership said that the actuator and all other components in the turbocharger are operating as designed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The dealership has recommended that I replace the turbo. I'm wondering if there is a way to fix it without replacing the turbo. If so, what is it and how hard is it to do?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

There are several causes of the P0299, so full testing should be done before condemning the turbocharger. I have attached the full testing procedure, which you need to do or have a shop do before replacing the turbo

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've already had a dealership look at it. They said that upon inspection and testing they found that the turbcharger wastegate was stuck open. All other components of the turbocharger were operating as designed. So, is there a way to fix/replace the wastegate without replacing the whole turbocharger
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

Them looking at it doesnt always translate to them having done all the needed tests, so I gave you the procedures to do the testing to ensure it was the wastegate. If it is the wastegate itself and not the wastegate actuator, then unfortunately the only repair is to replace the turbocharger.