thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

I have a 2004 Acura TL. my service guy did some work and

Customer Question

Hi. i have a 2004 Acura TL. my service guy did some work and disconnected the battery and I have to reset the radio/nav. I used the VIN and serial number on the Acura site to get the code. It gave me a 5 digit number. when i go to enter it I get an incorrect PIN message. It appears to be looking for a 4 digit number not the 5 digit one I was given. what do I do?
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: No but the radio is on and asks for the code. It wants 4 digits not 5 digits
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm hoping to avoid going to the dealer and should be able to do it myself. they just gave me the wrong code
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

So you Were you able to get the radio to work? but not the navigation ? If so then you will need the serial number from the tag on the bottom of the DVD unit in the trunk to get the 4 digit navigation code.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. I disconnected the battery to do a hard reset. once reconnected the radio/nav asked for the code. I had gotten it from the Acura website using the VIN and serial number. The website gave me a 5 digit code, the radio/nav only will take a 4 digit code. when I put in the 5 digit one it gave me an incorrect PIN. The radio does not play and I don't see the nav screen. It just asks for the code
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just checked the DVD in the trunk. How do I pull it out to look at the bottom? It doesn't seem to slide out.
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay I didn't get notified of your response. try the 5 digit code in the radio using the preset buttons. You will need to remove the trunk liner and unscrew the bracket holding the unit down to see the sticker. I downloaded the instruction in PDF format for you click

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your delay led me to solve the problem by going to the dealer. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing. Thanks