Dan, Technician
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Diploma with Database Access
17871496

My car is hesitating and the check engine light is coming on

Customer Question

My car is hesitating and the check engine light is coming on and then going off when the car stops hesitating.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When my engine is cold the car will hesitate and the engine light comes on momentarily. I just started my csr today and it is vibrating and the engine light is flashing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if it is straight forward. If not I will need to get my car into the shop.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Acura Mechanic should be aware of about your Acura?
Customer: It has 216,000 km and has been running great until this week. Not sure if I should drive it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** year, model, and engine size is your Acura? Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2004 EL and motor is 1.7
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

This most likely means you have a failed ignition coil. You can use a spark tester to check output of each coil, if any are weak then replace. Your other option is to check diagnostic codes which should specify which cylinder is misfiring then swap that coil with another cylinder to see if misfire follows coil. This would be around $200 to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.