Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I need to reset my navigation and radio system in my 2004

Customer Question

I need to reset my navigation and radio system in my 2004 3.5rl Acura can you help me?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Acura. The Acura Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My radio will not turn on and my navigation system show an error message please check disc I've that checked out and it still will not come on
JA: No, I use streaming services like Pandora.
Customer: Can they help me?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a brother who is a mechanic and he will fix it, but I'm capable of doing it myself also:o)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: I am the owner is there anything he/she may need
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
I can get you the unlock code for your radio and Nav system if you have the serial number on the radio and the vehicle's VIN#.You can then enter the unlock codes in yourself fairly easily.First, check the glovebox for any stickers indicating the radio serial number. Some dealerships will put the serial number on a sticker as a courtesy to their customers.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry, rest of your question just came through. So the radio isn't locked, it says check disk?Is there currently a navigation disk in the system?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it looks new or never used
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have my vin# ***** ***** any other place the serial# ***** be other than the glove compartment?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think the serial# ***** *****
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
If the radio doesn't say "lock" then the problem is most likely in the navigation unit. When you re-insert the disk does the display change at all?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It shows the disc is being read them back to the above message of "Please check disc"
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The radio will not come on at allow.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Dang. I think the only option might be to connect a compatible scan tool to reset and diagnose the system. These navigation units aren't easy to work on without a scan tool.You could try to disconnect the battery and force the radio to reset, but then if the error comes right back the system will also be locked out from the battery disconnect and you won't be able to get the serial number because of the error message.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could the serial # ***** 12V34W?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
It should be 4 numbers a letter then 4 numbers and a letter.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Other option for serial retrieval.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you need additional information.