acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

I have a 2002 Acura TL. Several months ago the power

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Acura TL. Several months ago the power steering pump was whining so I took to my mechanic and he replaced the pump. Unfortunately it was still whining. We drove it for a couple weeks and it was still whining. He replaced it again with the same result. He replaced it a third time with and an Acura pump. Now it's worse. Why?
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I want to tell my mechanic what to do.
JA: OK! The Acura Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.

Hello Im Chris and I will assist you.

Can you look into your power steering reservoir and tell me if you see little bubbles?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There were no bubbles when I checked it yesterday

No bubbles and he used an Acura pump already. Does the whine get louder with engine speed?

Acura makes an updated inlet O-ring for that pump that is orange. That usually takes care of the problem. Did he install the orange O-ring?

Are you there Mike?

Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.

There are a few other things that can make these pumps wine. Try replacing the Feed hose between the pump and power steering tank as well as the tank itself. If the hose gets hard with age it can suck air into the system and cause the pump to wine. There is a screen in the bottom of the tank that can get plugged and cause the pump to wine as well. Also the fan belt tensioner pulleys can wine as well as the alternator. It would be a good idea to try a mechanic stethascope to try to pinpoint the sound if this has not already been tried.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.