CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
Experience:  AUTO TECH at G&M EXXON
83135375

My mdx 2008 makes a whining sound at low speed, can't hear

Customer Question

My mdx 2008 makes a whining sound at low speed, can't hear it after driving over 45 MPH. Whining becomes louder with acceleration at low speed. Turning the wheel doesn't increase the sound. Steering wheel pump and fluid replaced but whining is stil there. Any suggestion?
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: May be
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: I had whining problem either steering wheel several months ado which I resolved by changing the O-ring. This whining problem is little bit different.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 8 months ago.
Helli Im Chris and I will assist you. Of course I can not hear the sound but those p/s pumps are terrible. Can you open your pump reservoir and tell me if you see any air bubbles inside?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When the vehicle is on or off
when running. they dont have to be big bubbles you should see circulation with no bubbles.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fluid in the center is swirling.
no bubbles?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No bubbles.
If no bubbles the next step would be to remove your serpentine belt and start the car to see if noise disappears.
If noise goes away idler and tensioner puley should be spun to check for smoothness.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No noise when engine is idle. Only when accelerating.
can you describe the noise as good as you can?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It s a whining scratching sound feels like something is grinding like a belt. I can reproduce the higher pitch sound with my throat
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Old school automatic electric pencil sharpener or paper shredder
if you rev it higher at idle can you hear it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I let go off rhe brake in the reverse then I don't hear it but when I increase the sapped by placing my foot on the gas paddle then I hear the whining sound.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I increase the speed in the reverse then I hear the whining sound. Sorry about the typo. I don't hear the whining sound when I initially place the car in the reverse at slow speed and i stil have my foot on the brake paddle.
i wanted you to rev the engine at idle. not in gear.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
place the car in the nuertal then push the car in the reverse? Can you please clarify "rev"?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I press the gas paddle when the car in parked then you can hear the whining noise.
ok thats what i wanted.
You have to take the belt off and press gas in park to see if the noise is gone. If its gone its either the idler or tensioner pulley
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am going to try that.
Anything else i can answer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I take the belt off? Any instructions?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If the noise is gone with the belt off then how do I fix the idler or tensioner? How much does it cost?
you will need a serpentine belt removal tool you have one? Its only a matter of putting it on the tensioner and pushing.
The pulleys on both arent expensive about 20 to 30 bucks each. they are removed by simply loosening the nut in the center.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can get the tool and check. Do I need to replace all the pulleys or one? What about the idler? What is idler? Sorry
the idler is another pulley the belt rides on.
ide replace both
they are both on the tensioner assly
heres how the belt goes
that bar with the arrow is the tool and its on the tensioner so you can identify it
z
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wow! That took looks cool. Acura dealer is not open tomorrow. Can I buy that took from auto shop?
most part stores have them
you got the pic because i cant see it on here
those two vertical pulleys are the ones you want to check
check the alternator too just in case its whining
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I check for the alternator? Can autoshop run a test on my car to see if it is battery or alternator?
no just spin it see if it feels jumpy on the pulley
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If whining goes away with belt off then I need to replace pulleys and belt?
ide do pulleys, belt if original
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Change the belt first then pulleys if needed then idler or tensioner pulley? Correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
spin the pulley while belt is off in order to check for alternator?
No
remove belt and spin pulleys to see which one is bad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will first check foe the whining noise when belt is off to then I will get back to you tomorrow. May I get back to you tomorrow?
you can. I will leave this open you just log in and write me.
If yo feel that ive been helpful please rate me so I can get credit for my time. Thank you and see you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you and I will!
Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I replaced the sepentine belt today with the help of fellow mechanic. My friend checked the pulley and he said they were fine.We checked the pulley when car was turned off. I just wanted to make sure that I was supposed to take the belt off then turn the car on to check the noise. Could you please clarify?
if you remove the belt and start the car and you dont hear a noise then the noise is definitely coming from one of the pulleys. If the noise is still there then we have to check elsewhere. So yes start the car with no belt to see if the noise goes away. While you have the belt off spin the pulleys by hand to see if any bearings feel bad or they make noise.