justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.

TL: While attempting to resolve a P1457 code on a 2000 Acura

Customer Question

While attempting to resolve a P1457 code on a 2000 Acura TL 3.2l I may have found the previous owner installed the wrong purge solenoid valve because I have an open port on the lines around the canister. I need someone who can review pictures and verify where the lines go and if I have the correct purge solenoid.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I added a couple of pics and here are my questions:
Is this the correct purge solenoid? (This one looks like it came from the junk yard)
There is an open port in the evap system lines, what does it connect to? (see pic)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 5 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.This is not the purge solenoid. This is the two-way valve and by-pass solenoid. They are two separate pieces connected together. This is the correct part. All pre 2003 Honda models have this set up. The part that is not connected to anything is the way it's supposed to be. This is a vent for the fuel pressure sensor so this should be open to atmosphere at all times. I hope this clears things up for you. If you have any more questions about this just let me know. I have been servicing only Honda/Acura for 9 years and I am very familiar with evap systems. You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Awesome. How's can I test the valve and solenoid to make sure it is working correctly?
Without the proper testing equipment it can be a bit tricky for the average person. A good technique that I have come up with by years of diagnosing these evap systems is what I call the vacuum test. Use your mouth to pull a vacuum on the bottom port of the two-way valve. Once you have a vacuum on the bottom port use your tongue to block the bottom port while a vacuum is still on the valve. The vacuum should hold so you should always feel tension on your tongue. If you the vacuum goes away or you can suck through the valve without restriction this means the valve is bad and you should replace both pieces. Please remember to rate. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should the valve have any fluid in it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the bypass valve and solenoid do hold a vacuum. Where do I go next? The purge valve was bad and I replaced it, cleared the code, and now it is back. Not sure where to go now.
Sorry just now getting back. The valve should not have any fluid in it. If it does you should replace both the two-way valve and by-pass solenoid. More than likely this is where the issue is. Please remember to rate so I get credit. I will continue answering any questions that might come up. Thanks
any news here?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
far I have replaced over $200 in valves and solenoids, erased the code and now it is back. So now where do I go?