George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification

TL: Took my 2009 Acura TL to the dealer routine "B1"

Customer Question

Took my 2009 Acura TL to the dealer for a routine "B1" service today, as recommended by the maintenance minder. After everything was done, they suggested that I should have a "fuel induction service." When I asked why I needed it, I got an answer full of generalities that didn't seem to be crucial and so I declined the service.
When I got home, I googled "fuel induction service" and came across lots of recommendations that it's an unnecessary service. Of even more interest, I found a link to a letter, supposedly from Honda to its dealers ( telling them that various services are not recommended. Included among these, it says "DO NOT perform fuel injection (induction) cleaning/flushing as a preventive maintenance procedure." (last bullet on the first page of the document.)
1) Under what circumstances would fuel induction cleaning be needed if not done as "preventive maintenance"? In other words, is it possible that their recommendation for the fuel induction cleaning is actually legitimate?
2) I'm inclined to read the riot act to the dealership's service manager. Do you agree or not? Anything I should be thinking about?
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, This is known as "wallet flushing" in the industry and is common in dealers. While there may be some benefit from this service when you have 60 - 100K miles on the car it is not a routine preventive maintenance service as you found from the Honda recommendation. I suggest you vote with your wallet and just not return to the dealer but find a certified independent shop to service your vehicle. That will speak much louder than arguing with the service manager Please let me know how I can help you with this Thank you