thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

My 2006 MDX has the ABS VTM and chck engine lgiht and brake

Customer Question

My 2006 MDX has the ABS VTM and chck engine lgiht and brake light all on and they they go off for a day or two and then come on. right now they are off
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The VTM ABS Engine light and Brake light all come on at the same time. They then go off for several days and them return on. Right now all are off.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Acura Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Acura Mechanic should be aware of about your Acura?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
The trouble with diagnosing this one is that the ABS and VTM lights will illuminate when a fault is detected in any system. That means it could be on for a misfire, a loose gas cap, a bad speed sensor, a transmission issue, etc.The only way to begin nailing it down is to have the vehicle scanned for codes when the light is illuminated. Most parts stores will scan it for free. Do you think you could have that done?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
If you are able to get the codes scanned that will give us an idea of where to look first. Otherwise we might be barking up the wrong tree.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Let me know how it goes.