thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

I recently purchased a 2001 acura mdx touring, and everything

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2001 acura mdx touring, and everything was working at first. However, the navigation screen and the radio cut off. I replaced the fuses for them as well as the power socket. The screen and radio came back on, but when I plugged my phone into the power socket, the screen and radio got cut off again. Any ideas on what may be the issue?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Acura. The Acura Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I'm willing to do so
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far, I've only replaced the fuses pertaining to the navigation screen, radio and power sockets according to the manual.
JA: No, I use streaming services like Pandora.
Customer: Pardon? I got confused when you previously asked me about the solutions I've used so far to fix the issue
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: I've also checked the carfax, and I haven't seen anything about the shocks. So I was wondering if I may need to have them checked out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.
Have you checked the top fuse in the top row closest to the front of the car passenger fuse box again? this fuse is the one that commonly blows and causes this.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, I've checked it and also replaced the fuse. But for somewhat reason, it kept cutting off even with the new fuse in.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.
Ok check inside both of the power outlets especially the one in the console sometimes things cat get stuck inside (coins) and short them out and cause this. The fact that it cut off when you plugged into a socket points to a problem in the socket or the adapter you plugged in .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I checked the sockets, and both the one in the armrest and the rear is firmly placed. However, the one in the armrest is a little dirty and it looks like it may have a slight burn spit on it. Also, the one in the front underneath the radio is a little loose.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.
If you have a test light check the top fuse for power on both sides. if not just try replacing it again . If the screens come back on then one of the sockets is bad or shorted. If not you will need to remove the radio and test the inputs. 99% of the time a power socket or bad phone charger causes this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alright then. I'll try it out, but if not, then I'll have the car looked at.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alright then, thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  acramstr replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****