Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech

I had a check engine light so i took the car to a transmission

Customer Question

I had a check engine light so i took the car to a transmission place. they did a 22 point check and said the code P1740 4th pressure switch was the problem. they also said the fluid looked dark, burned and the transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of 1,000-2,500
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Acura. The Acura Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no i just want to make sure the transmission does need to be replaced, that is a big cost
JA: OK! The Acura Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: it has 166000 miles, the check engine light is not on any longer and i have not noticed any difference when driving
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,Can you tell me the year and model of your Acura?Are you have any shifting concerns ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 TL, I have not had any shifting issues.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for that information, the code P1740 is set due to an internal hydraulic problem with the transmission and usually dose require a overhaul and or a rebuild which is very likely due to the amount of miles you have on the car. That being said as long as its not slipping yet you likely do have some time left before you need to replace it. As long as you are not planing any long trips where it could fail on you which is likely at any time. The correct fix is as you have been told and that is to replaced or rebuild the transmission.