Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

MDX: 2008 Acura MDX. Serpentine belt broke while idling. Was

Customer Question

2008 Acura MDX. Serpentine belt broke while idling. Was able to drive it home before battery died. There was a lot of belt twisted around several of the pulleys, which I unwrapped and pulled out. Put new belt on and charged battery.
Now it will crank, but not start. It just cranks for about 3 seconds, pauses, and cranks again.
I ordered a diagnostic tool to see if there's any codes. I'm aware the crack position sensor is nearby and could've been knocked loose. This is what I'm hoping the problem is. I'm also aware the timing belt is at risk of damage, but not sure the likelihood of it?
Thank you for any input!!!
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..It is more likely that the crankshaft position sensor wires got damaged by the belt. Although it could have taken out the sensor as well. The timing cover would have to come off to check and see. Thanks.If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,