rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Nsx: help? I have a 1995 acura nxs. 37.5 miles on it. This

Customer Question

help? I have a 1995 acura nxs. 37.5 miles on it. This afternoon the idiot light for check engine and TCS both came on at the same time. I know, without looking at it....but help, it is sunday and I don't know if I'm going to blow up the engine driving the car to be safe at home, or if I should leave it until I can get a tow truck.
Category: Acura
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. Depending on just how far you need to go, hopefully i=under 100 miles, you should be good to drive it home or to a shops lot for tomorrow. It sounds like it's in limp in mode right now and you won't hurt anything by driving it. They will need to attach a scan tool to see what's happening with the system.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my skill level is that I know how to put gas in the car. period. yes, I'm a moron about vehicles. Right up front. Sorry. The car is rarely driven. kept in the garage on a trickle charger. Drove for the first time in a month yesterday, filled with gas (very empty) and didn't seem to be anything wrong. No unusual smell, oil and battery levels appears fine - assuming I know what 'fine' is.....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no idea what the TCS light is, covers, or means. There is a little TCS button on the dashboard. never pushed it before. pushed it when the light came on, nothing appeared to happen.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
TCS is transmission control system. Just have the computer scanned and we'll go from there.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry, I don't even know how to have the computer scanned... I'm assuming that is something I need to get the car into the shop for that to happen?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Yes, a shop will take care of this for you.Thanks again, Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay, thanks. basically you are telling me there is nothing I can do until I can get an appointment, but it is okay to drive home (under 30 miles)?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Yes, you're good.Thanks again,Ron