Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Acura TL 3.0 6 cyl.: I have a 2002 Acura TL 3.0 6 cyl. Vehicle

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Acura TL 3.0 6 cyl. Vehicle will only move in gear very slowly after engine is warmed.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is this Reverse and Drive that the vehicle will only move very slowly? and does the engine rev and act like it has plenty of power if you just rev it up in Park? let us know, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes that is correct, engine is a 3.2 6 cylindwer
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Have you tried it in manual L gear? and reverse? and if so, does the engine just rev up to 3 or 4K rpm's and the car move very slowly? or is it like you've got the emergency brake fully on and the engine will only rev up to 1800 or so rpm's and the car barely moves. Does it do this in any gear including reverse?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes that is correct, have not tired in L hear as yet . It does feel as if emergency brake is partially on.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, have you checked the transmission fluid and condition yet? and does it smell burned? I'm thinking it's either A the brakes are locked up, which you would need to raise the vehicle and spin them by hand, or B. The transmission has internal issues.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
have not checked the trans fluid level as yet. will check in the a.m. hopefully that is the problem, don't smell any odor as yet is it possible to continue this conversation later via phone?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Yes it is, I'm about to knock off here this evening, check the tranny fluid and let me know tomorrow, also, if you don't have a jack, and the ground is fairly level, put it in neutral and just see if you can push the car , maybe get somebody to help you. If you can move it at all, motor off in neutral, (safety first of course). then likely the brakes are not locked up any.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks Ed; I check the brakes and the trans, it appears that the trans fluid is low to empty. the key now is to acquire the tools to open the trans to add fluid. hopefully this will rectify the problem without adding a big expensive bill. I appreciate your expertise in this matter and hopefully we're able to communicate again if there's a future problem.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely, hopefully check the coolant, and make sure it's not contaminated. if the trans cooler breaks in the radiator you'll get that fluid swap. Hopefully that is not the case, hopefully the transmission fluid did not get into the radiator. and hopefully filling the transmission to the correct level will rectify the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.