Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda Platinum level master tech,ase certified

We have a Takata airbag in my husband's Acura 3.2TL. How can

Customer Question

We have a Takata airbag in my husband's Acura 3.2TL. How can I deactivate the airbag?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The airbags in the car are faulty and we received a recall notice but they won't be able to fix till June. The same type of airbag killed a teen in Houston last week and I want to disable our airbags.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Acura generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
What year is your TL?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Ok. let me look up a couple things and see if I can make it easy for you to do.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
There are a couple things you can do. One would be to remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel and disconnect the yellow connector for the air bag itself. There will bee a part of the connector you pull towards the wires to release the lock. The other thing you can do would be to remove the fuse #11 in the fuse box on the driver's side under the dash. These will turn the SRS light which would disable the system. If you do feel that unsafe driving the car you should be able to contact your local Acura dealer and get a replacement vehicle until parts become available.