Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2003 MDX FRONT HEATER NOT BLOWING HOT AIR LIKE BEFORE. JA:

Customer Question

2003 MDX FRONT HEATER NOT BLOWING HOT AIR LIKE BEFORE.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with AC issues. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse, or something slightly more complicated like a condenser. Any weird smells or rattling noises?
Customer: CHANGED HEATER VALVE, FLUSHED HEATER CORE UNTIL CLEAR AND CHANGED THERMOSTAT
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to AC guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: PERFECT ALSO REAR HEATER JUST BLOWING COLD AIR
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Acura Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: THATS IT
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 11 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** the rear blow good hot air?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NO ITS COLD AIR
so the front and rear do not blow heat?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
FRONT BLOWS WARM AIR AND BACK COLD AIR
ok, on the dash, does the temp gauge come up to normal/ when fully warmed up?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
YES, CHANGED THERMOSTAT WITH A RATING OF 174 DEGREES, FLUSHED HEATER CORE, & CHANGED HEATER VALVE
*****too cold for this engine, it needs to have a 195 thermostat in it, why did you put the 174 in it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DO U HAVE A PART NUMBER FOR THAT BECAUSE ALL AUTO PART STORES SELL EITHER 167 OR 174 FOR THAT TRUCK
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THATS STARTING TEMP NOT FULLY OPEN THATS 194
where did you buy it at?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ADVANCE AUTO, MAX TEMP 194
ok, with the car fully warmed up, can you feel the hoses going into the firewall for the heater core, and tell me if both hoses are hot? or is one hot and one just warm, or are both just luke warm?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IN HOT OUT WARM
ok, if it hot going in, and just warm coming out, then you have a plugged heater core, flushing conventionally does usually get out the calcium build up, was th coolant real dirty before this started?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A LITTLE
FLUSHED OUT WITH CLEANER , GOT DIRT COMING OUT THE FLUSHED WITH WATER FOR ABOUT 5 MIN
did you add the cleaner to the radiator and run it? or did you add the cleaner direcly to the heater core? And what brand of cleaner did you use?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DIRECTLY TO HEATER CORE
PRESTONE
was it the liquid Superflush?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
YES
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IT WAS CALLED FLUSH AND CLEANER
ok, that is the best on the market, we use it alot, if that did not unplug it, then you will need to replace the core, these new designed cores are not the serpentine design and are very hard to flush out, the new ones are more like a mini radiator, with cores going across, when setiment and calcium build up, it builds up in the bottom of the core, and eventually it byasses at the top, which will only give warm air, even with the chemicals, its hard to get down to the bottom to get the calcium out, if the one hose is hot and the other cold, then it can only be a plugged core, nothing else,Tim
Pleas dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim