Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Rl: We have a 2004 Acura RL 3.5 with about 200k miles. Has

Customer Question

We have a 2004 Acura RL 3.5 with about 200k miles. Has been a good car. Needs rear main seal replaced. We are statrting to wonder if there are any other big $ repairs that are common with the 2004 RL that we can expect or should we sell it. We ahve heard people say that they can get 300k miles plus from these cars.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
The 3.5l is a pretty solid workhorse from Honda/acura. These engines tend to last a long time with regular maintenance. The transmission isn't as bullet proof, but it can also be made to last a long time with regular fluid changes. Are you experiencing any slipping or hard shifting from the transmission.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No transmission problems. The fluid needs service soon.Just the rear main seal at this tiem. We wonder if it is worth it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
How much are they wanting to replace the rear main? I assume it's expensive since the transmission will have to be removed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
$1700 to $1900. that is at a dealer. I have another friend who is well trained maechanic but he said the dealer is the best place to go for this. Price depends on how hard it is to take apart due to rusted bolts etc.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Wow, That's hard to say. I show 8.7 hours in labor on that job, so about $950-$1000 in labor. The part is about $15. I wonder where they are coming up with the other $700-$900.You might shop it around a little. I'm sure there is a reputable shop somewhere in you area willing to do it for about $1000. I've seen some very high mileages on those RLs. I would venture to say you could get a lot more life out of it. How bad is the leak? Minor enough that a bottle of Lucas stop leak might slow it down enough to get you another 50k miles?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They say that the seal is pretty worn out. I see a small oil puddle on the garage floor about the size of silver dollar. The dealer says tha there is and engine pan there that catches most of the oil and the pan is pretty well coated with oil. I checked the oil the other evening and it was still in the full area on the dip stick. I can try this Lucas stop leak on it to see what happens until I can locate another mechanic to work on it. How much of the stop leak should be put in?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I've had good luck with this product on engine oil leaks that weren't worth the labor costs to repair: I would give it a shot. It will give you instructions on the bottle, but it's usually about half a bottle. It's worth a try if it's able to slow it down.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are in Toledo, Ohio. Any recommendations as to mechanics in our area. Any customers made any comments in our area?. The dealer is ***** ***** Chevrolet and Acura. Only game in town. Their family also owns the Honda dealership.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
It's really hard to say. I would probably look for a shop on Yelp with good reviews and good BBB ratings.I would love it if there was a national chain I could recommend for stuff like this, but no one has really emerged as a quality option across the board.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Well worth the money
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Please don't forget to rate. Let me know if you need help in the future.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Good morning,I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help.If you no longer need help, please don't forget to rate.