justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.

Bob here. Have an 07 Acura TL. A/C has been short cycling

Customer Question

Bob here. Have an 07 Acura TL. A/C has been short cycling for a week or so. (Yesterday it kicked in but only a few time during hour trip.) Today I went to charge and jumped the pressure switch but the clutch will not engage? Pretty sure it's just low, but maybe not.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The A/C in this car has never been charged......148,000. The fact that it has been short cycling makes me think it's just low on Freon. I've jumped the red/blue (#1 wire I believe) with no success.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Acura generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.

Hello, ifyou jump the blue and red wire to the yellow at the triple pressure switch. I'll post the wiring diagrams andhow it operates below.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for the diagrams. I have jumped the blue/red to the yellow but the as I stated in the original question for some reason the compressor clutch is not engaged. Next steps?

That should do it, if not the pressure switch is bad. on the other circuit of the switch it only closes (grounds) when the pressure is over 213 PSI

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How would this determine a bad switch? By jumping the leads I'm removing the pressure switch from the circuit, so wouldn't it have to be something else keeping the compressor from running?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I'd like you to check something for me. Start the engine and turn the a/c on. Open the hood and note if both the cooling fans are running. Then turn the a/c switch OFF and see if the cooling fans turn off as well. Then turn the a/c back ON to see if the cooling fans turn on also. Let me know if the cooling fans respond with the a/c switch and we will continue. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Justin. Sorry for the delayed response but after the less than accurate information I received from the original mechanic I continued to look for answers. Just so you know it sounds like you might be on the right track. The a/c fan motor would run when I jumped the plug from the pressure switch even though the compressor would not engage which made me think power was present. So I was pretty sure it must be the compressor itself. But I ended up checking the fuse box and found that the a/c fan and the compressor are on separate relays. Switched the relays and sure enough the compressor engaged.Have a good one!