Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Acura TL 2005 starts and when you put in Drive or any gear

Customer Question

Acura TL 2005 starts and when you put in Drive or any gear there is a loud grinding sound. Car will not go anywhere and will not go back into park. Need to turn it off and then put it back in park. Can push it while it is in Drive as if it is in neutral.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the engine off and the shifter in park, does the car roll?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

ok, then this is going to be internal inside the transmission, you most likely broke a planetary gear, or the torque converter has come apart, none the less, the transmission will need to come out and disassembloed to see which one broke,Tim

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is a new transmission the fix or repair the broken pieces. What costs less
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

if there are hard parts involved, then it cheaper to get a rebuilt trans, the planetaries in these can ghet expensive,Tim

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Anytimeme my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim