Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech
7276279

I just replaced the entire ignition cylinder/lock harness in

Customer Question

I just replaced the entire ignition cylinder/lock harness in a 1994 Acura Integra because the original keys were lost, and they car will turn over but not start, I am wondering if we could have plugged something in wrong. I don't believe the 1994 had the immobilizer yet.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, it is my son's car so money isn't flowing if you know what I mean
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, we charged the battery, we put in more gas so it was over half a tank, we looked at all the fuses to ensure they were good...
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Acura Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: The battery is fine, we had that checked... It's really the issue of the car will not start it just turns over and over like it is not getting fuel
JA: Our top Acura Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Acura Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Acura Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing you need to do is recheck you connections on the new switch and if they check okay the the next thing would be to check and see if you have good spark to the spark plugs as well as injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. If you can determine which one your lacking I will try and help you determine what is causing this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The spark and everything is fine the car ran perfect before the keys were lost its only the ignition wiring that is an issue. I read somewhere that the new ignition needed to be at the accessory setting prior to plugging it in for the ECU to acknowledge the Change. Do you know if that is a true statement?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

The system should acknowledge the Change any time the key is turned on, are you sure you do not have a immobilizer issue? There where some 1994 that did have a immobilizer system. If that is the case then the new key will need to be programmed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My son says no I'm not sure what the old keys looked like he definitely didn't buy keys that have the chips in them. How would I be able to tell if it had the Immobilizer
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Usually if you have a theft system you should see a light saying so on the dash unless its an aftermarket add on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no Immobilizer. No key icon. Had old alarm that was not hooked up prior to purchase just removed those extra wires. Checked fuses. Turns over strong. Just doesn't start sounded like it was going to once but didn't happen. We're going to try and jump start invade the battery doesn't have enough cranking from trying so many times. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Try making sure the battery is fully charged and then if it still will not start then you are going to need to check for spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. If you can tell me which one you are lacking I can help you narrow it down from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ron, so I figured it out, I had a problem with the spark, battery suggestions honestly because the car was running fine and it has not been that long since the key was lost. It had an after market alarm which I mentioned above that I removed. So after 6 more hours of working on the car, I decided to switch out the tumbler from the purchased ignition harness, and replace the harness with the one taken out of the car as I knew it started before the keys were lost. Magic, started right up, so I am going to assume we either received a faulty wiring harness for the ignition, or one that really was not for that car.. Either way that car is up and running and I feel pretty good about the trouble shooting. Thanks for the help. Dawn
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Glad to hear you got it resolved, a bad harness would sure keep you from getting spark. Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.