George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX with a clicking noise when

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX with a clicking noise when the steering wheel is turned to the left. The noise sounds like a CV joint but the boots all look good. The noise seems to be from the right hand side. It is kinda a constant thump thump thump noise with the steering wheel held steady so I don't think it is in the steering intermediate shaft or other suspension. Are these axles prone to make noise?
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The joint can be worn and noisy without the boot breaking. It may be the axle needs to be replaced.

Do you hear the noise if you turn sharply in a quiet parking lot?

Is it when you are driving or slow speed maneuvers?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It seems to be worse with the steering wheel turned about a full turn (approx 1/2 of the total travel) going in circles on a smooth parking lot. If you turn sharper it seems to be reduced. It does seem to be affected some by the load, if you are coasting it is quiet if slightly accelerating it tend to get worse.

That does sound like a joint but you say you hear it on the right side but you are making a sharp left turn?.

Can you have someone stand to the left side as you circle to be sure the noise is from the right side?