Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

I got an error code p1491 on my 03 Acura tl, It starts but

Customer Question

I got an error code p1491 on my 03 Acura tl
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It starts but when you release your foot off the accelerator to shift it die. Like egr is clogged up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Acura generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Seen quite a few of these happen, the EGR valve and ports get clogged up badly. I know honda had a service bulletin come out about it, not sure if Acura did too. Either way, you'll need to replace the EGR valve and clean out the ports as best you can. This should fix your issue.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.