Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Going to replace the light bulbs cluster on a 97 Acura rl

Customer Question

Going to replace the light bulbs for the cluster on a 97 Acura rl 3.5.
Does the speedometer cluster pull out once unplugged?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

once it is unplugged and the 4 screws removed the cluster should come right out all in one piece

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have removed the cluster and some of the bulbs are behind the cluster board,should i remove the screws to get to the bulbs?
I am concerned about the coorect tights for the screws to the speedometer and other guages.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any concern about the tightness about the tightness of the screws on the back of the cluster?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k. I dont show a torque specification for the screws but they are usually snug.You dont want to over tighten then and break the cluster housing or circuit paneling.I would say just snug then just a little more less then 1/4 turn most likely.I think the only way you would find out what the exact specifications are is to contact a repair center that repairs the clusters.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi ,
ran into a problem.
My wife turned the alarm on while the cluster was out,would that affect anything?
Now the car will not turn over and i do hear a clicking sound in the cluster but i dont even hear a click from the starter.
Battery is at 11 volts a little low, will it harm anything if i try to reset by disconnecting the battery?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have replaced the bulbs and still the same ,now im looking to have the cluster rebuilt or purchase a used cluster.
If i opt to go with a used cluster will i have to program it to the car?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

I dont see on this model where it has to be programmed after it is replaced with a new or used model.If you go with a used model though your mileage wont be the same as it is on the vehicle.I recommend ordering new through a dealer as they can order it in with the correct mileage.

Did you get the alarm fault to correct itself?

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have replaced the bulbs and installed the cluster ,everything works except the odometer is running too fast.
I have another cluster and installed it but same thing ,odometer running too fast.Both speedometers are clocking the right speed.
I have tried resetting by unplugging the battery.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Can you describe to me what exactly the odometers are doing?

Are you sure the speedometer is operating properly?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The distance the odometer shows is alot more than it should be . For example ive driven about a .5 miles and the odometer shows about 2miles.The speedometer is accurate as far as the speed and all of the other gauges are working fine.
Is it possible that the cluster needs to be re calibrated?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

That is odd that this is occuring here as the odometer reads from the speedometer to determine how to operate the odometer mileage.If this occurred with two different clusters and you know for sure the speedometer is operating properly it is possible the instrument cluster needs some type of programming or calibration from a dealer to correct this here.I dont see anything else that could cause this type of fault but the cluster itself.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete