Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

CI have a 2008 mdx acura 153000 miles on it. Took it to a

Customer Question

cI have a 2008 mdx acura 153000 miles on it. Took it to a dealer to check out flashing oil signal on computer, they replaced my oil censor and rebooted my computer.
brought it home and my lights were flashing all the time now. I had a mechanic put oil pressure gauge to check system he found pressure start at 50 psi then drop down to 5 psi. do I need a new oil pump or rebuild my engine
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It sounds more like the oil pressure relief valve is stuck rather than needing a new oil pump. The pressure relief valve will allow oil pressure to bleed back down to the oil pan without fully pressurizing the system if it gets stuck open. The normal oil pressure range for your car is 10psi at idle and 70 psi at 3000 rpm. If your pressures are only slightly lower than that I would suspect the relief valve rather than the pump.

The problem is that the oil pressure relief valve is not easy to change.

Do you plan to do any repairs yourself?

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the oil pump and the pressure relief valve. If you can get it unstuck it would likely solve the problem.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to see if you needed any additional help with this.

If you no longer need assistance, please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I wanted to check and see whether you still needed help on this. I haven't heard back from you in a few days.

If you no longer need help and I have been of some assistance, I would appreciate a positive rating.