acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

My car stalled in a puddle, it eventually started after a

Customer Question

my car stalled in a puddle, it eventually started after a few tries. it has a knocking/ grinding sound and the p301 light is on.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 9 months ago.

This could be something as easy as a wet ignition coil or as bad as a bent rod from hydro locking the engine with water. I would not suggest driving it until its checked out. The easiest way to tell if it has a bent rod would be to perform a compression test, If 1 cylinder is lower than the others then the engine will need to be dissembled to check for bent parts. This does not always damage the engine to the point of needing replacement sometimes just the rod is damaged but the more it is run the more damage it can cause. Unfortunately water does not compress and if it gets into the intake system of the engine it doesn't take much to damage the engine.