Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda/Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on Acura and Honda vehicles for over 30 years. I have an associates degree in automotive and factory training.
75670266

I have a Acura MDX. The check engine light is not on but

Customer Question

I have a Acura MDX. The check engine light is not on but when in traffic the auto looses acceleration. I have to put in park or restart. I have been told engine or transmissions problem The engine runs immaculate, so I thing they are wrong. Someone also told me my throttle body may need to be cleaned or replaced.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

I agree that there is probably less serious causing your problem. A hesitation or loss of acceleration can be caused by a bad EGR valve. It's actually a problem with the Honda Pilot too. I have experienced this issue first hand, in most cases the check engine light will not come on. This requires replacing the EGR valve not cleaning it. It's an electrical issue not carbon buildup. Cleaning the throttle body is also a good idea, it is basically free and should help.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man