Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

How it going? My name is ***** ***** I have an 04 Acura MDX

Customer Question

How it going? My name is ***** ***** I have an 04 Acura MDX with a idle misfire
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: valves adjusted to factory specs, new coil packs, new injectors, new spark plugs, new egr valve, egr ports appear to be free and clear..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Acura generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:

If you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help unless you…

… have basic knowledge and mechanical skills, and…

… have whatever tools and equipment might be needed for a proper diagnosis

Having said that, misfires trigger data trouble codes which are set, recorded and stored by the onboard computer along with a snapshot (freeze-frame) of the basic engine conditions present at the time the event was recorded. Knowing those codes and freeze-frame data will help us help you solve your issue in a more effective manner. Can you get and post that information for us so we can continue?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not have diagnostic equipment that can see the data-list. I was going to exhaust my options before I take it to the dealer. Im a 10 year Acura mechanic.. so I have a bit of experience. But as you said, these type of issues are difficult without the proper tools.

I understand. If it's any help, misfires are caused by lean conditions (more air than fuel in the combustion chamber). Since your engine misfires only at idle, I would take a can of carb cleaner and carefully and slowly spray around all the places where unmetered air might be getting into the engine; places like around the intake manifold, base of the throttle, etc. Also make sure to spray right into the EGR valve; eventhough that's exhaust gas and not technically air, a stuck open EGR can also cause the engine to misfire at idle.

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards.