acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

My name is ***** ***** ....."check start System Error came

Customer Question

Customer: Hi My name is ***** ***** ....."check start System Error came on in my 2008 Acura TL......happened about a year ago .......put the car in netural and started it not sure what is going on this time....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: About a year ago one day this message occured and car would not start......after playing with the ignition switch and holding it down it started....happened a couple more time and went away.....today this morning it happened again......once I tried to start in netural it started right up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Acura generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 10 months ago.

Your problem is most likely a bad contact inside the starter. What we see in these is the contacts inside the starter wear and burn causing the starter not to respond to the start signal. Moving the shift lever will shake the starter just enough to make the contact work and the starter will engage. Eventually the starter contacts will wear enough that it will not start at all. To verify this check for power to the small black and white wire at the starter . If it has power and the starter will not run or just clicks then the starter is bad. The check start system error comes on when the system knows it sent the start signal and the starter did not crank the engine.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.