thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

I have 2005 Acura TL with 115,000 miles and it is going

Customer Question

I have 2005 Acura TL with 115,000 miles and it is going through batteries at the rate of 1 per year. I have had the bluetooth disconnected to no avail. I have taken it to Acura as well as independent electrical repair shops with no luck solving this problem
Category: Acura
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a Master and Advanced Level Certified Automotive Repair Technician with over 12 years experience and I've personally worked on over 25,000 vehicles. I see you have a question about your Acura and I think I can help you. I also happen to own a 07 TL-S.

Before we begin, I will need to ask you a couple questions. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.

• At any time between battery replacements (the one year period) do you ever have to get the vehicle jump started after sitting overnight? Or even a couple days? I ask this to determine if we have an abnormal parasitic draw
  • What brand of battery are you installing? Is the the proper group size for the vehicle?
  • Do you have ANY aftermarket accesories installed, i.e. aftermarket radio, power ports, lighting, etc...?

I will most likely have a couple more questions for you, but if you could please answer the above that will give us a path to go down.

Again, please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. It is my goal to determine the cause and remedy for your concern. I look forward to a speedy repair! Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had to jumpstart it twice in the last 12 days. I have used interstate and Delco batteries on occasions. I have no aftermarket equipment on this car. I definitely feel there is a parasitic drain causing this to happen

Hello again and thank you for the reply!

Anytime a battery goes "dead", or at least low enough of charge to not start the vehicle, that particular batteries life expectancy is nearly cut in half, that could explain why the batteries only last one year.

And yes, we do have a parasitic draw happening. Where I would like to start is back with the hands-free link module, or more commonly known as the bluetooth module. As you probably already know this is the most common cause of a key off draw. When you state you disconnected it, I assume you refer to the module located in the overhead section above the mirror. Under that cover there should be 2 modules connected to that piece that have a multi-pin connections on them. Did you disconnect both modules? If not, which one did you disconnect? I have seen many instances of ID concern with the actual bluetooth module.

I have attached a Honda TSB file that address the known concern with the HFL module, please confirm the correct module was unplugged.

If the above is not the case, the next step will be to diagnose a key-off draw. This involves the use of a multimeter that has the ability to run at least 10-15 amps thru it and LOTS of patience. In this sensitive case, an AMP clamp will not work, we are talking about a draw that will be in the mA (milliAmp) scale. Basically we will be removing fuses for components all over the vehicle until the abnormal draw (if it registers, sometimes power draws can be intermittent) too) disappears.

Please let me know if you have any questions for me prior to proceeding. Since there is specific testing involved I'd like to know you're comfortable with the above steps and using the tools necessary for accurate diagnosis. If so I will lay out the procedures and you can report back your findings. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get back with you on which connection because the car isn't here with me right now. I just know that it is no longer working at all. The last time I jumped the battery I couldn't unlock the doors or blow the horn.

Interesting! Maybe once we figure out our primary concern we can tackle the issue with the horn and locks if it is still a concern.

I look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know my main concern is to get this battery issue figured out. I will get back with you as soon as I can. Thank You

You bet, thank you!