thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

Today I was changing the oil, as I was 2,000 into my last

Customer Question

Today I was changing the oil, as I was 2,000 into my last change from the dealer, and wanted to see if that fixed the problem. I drained the oil into a 7qt tray and filled it up! The dealer put 7qts in my last change. Should I call them? Should I just replace the correct amount? I am just worried that this could have caused damage to my engine :/ Thanks for your help
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Did you check the oil level before you drained it? Was it high on the stick?

What color was the oil? Sure it is engine oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the oil was consistently high on one side, but on the other side it was level at the top dot. The oil on the high side always appeared to be smeared, and the other side was a level line. This was the case 5 times when I checked it yesterday after the check emissions warning came on and I got code P2647.The oil was light brown, and it came from the engine drain, but I don't know how to definitively confirm only oil came from the engine oil drain.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

It should only have about 4.5 quarts in it if you are at the top hole in the stick. 2.5 quarts over would put it at least 2 inches above the hole.

I don't know what is happening here but with your reading the correct level on the stick I doubt it would hurt the engine

Overfilling would allow the crankshaft to whip air into the oil which then keeps the pump from moving it. If you heard nothing rattleing in the enigne I don't think that was the case.

Something is not adding up here. The dealer usually fills with a metered gun from a bulk dispenser, there have been cases where the gun malfunctions or the tech fills the correct measure twice but it is standard practice to start the engine , turn it off and recheck the level.

Can you see what I am saying that it would have been showing on the stick if you were 2.5 quarts high?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The P2647 is saying the oil pressure switch for the variable valve timing has a poor connection or failed switch so it is showing high voltage when it is not expected by the computer