FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

98 Acura RL - 162k miles- a lot of slop in steering- now

Customer Question

98 Acura RL - 162k miles- a lot of slop in steering- now very noticeable on highway- estimate steering wheel turn of 5 degrees each direction before impacting direction.
Alignment seems fine- tires are very new high quality Michelin. Last few months driving non- highway so did not notice how severe until a recent highway drive. Almost seems to be a safety issue. I did mention this to the Acura service and, without inspection, " likely steering rack and very costly" . Looking for the primary and secondary sources that are leading to this fault. I do not plan the work myself, but want to understand and provide repair guidance.
Category: Acura
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. From what you are explaining it does sound like it needs a new rack and pinion. The only other thing that would cause it would be worn out steering parts like tie rod ends, but if those were bad you would have a lot of tire wear and usually a vibration or noise. If you are not getting any of these then suspect the rack. Any shop can get the vehicle in the air and first check for worn parts. If there are none then the rack is the culprit. I hope this answers your question. If you need anything else please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for response- is there an aftermarket rack and what is estimated installed cost?

This rack is available from most parts stores. Having this replaced at a shop will vary in price but expect it to run around $500-600. It can get a little higher than that depending on the part they use. Let me know if you need more help.