AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

2008 Acura MDX Driver side front window motor stopped

Customer Question

2008 Acura MDX
Driver side front window motor stopped operating suddenly. I have removed regulator, and no obvious issue. No difference in response with new (reman motor)....tested motor was good. Verified related fuse was good.
I have the Service manual, and started to troubleshoot the Driver Side MPCS by following suggested steps, but my first continuity test is failing indicating a faulty wire. Before I start trying to jump and replace wires thought I would start with you for a second opinion.
Category: Acura
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello there. It's very common to have a damaged wire in the rubber boot between the door and the door jam. The constant opening and closing of the door takes it's toll on the wires. If your having a loss of continuity I would first look there. Sometimes the wire is visibly damaged, and other times it's broken inside the plastic shield making it a little more difficult to locate. If you pull back the rubber boot and don't see a visibly damaged wire, try pressing the switch while moving the wires around and see if the window suddenly starts moving. That's how we often find the damaged wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wow, spot on. As soon as a peeled back the boot, there is a black wire that has pulled out of the connector. The whole connector is full of a yellow type grease and maybe some water. What is the best way to repair that wire? Do I need to buy a new connector and splice all the wires...or can I somehow just pull out that individual trace and resolder it?

Sweet! I almost always just solder the damaged wire back together. Sometimes I add a few inches of new wire to make it easier on myself.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not quite that easy :o(. The wire didn't tear in half....it actually pulled out of the white connector that plugs into the door assuming leading for the under-dash fuse box. I can still clean up the gook and see if there is anything to solder the wire to.

Sorry, I didn't read your last post as thoroughly as I should have. Hopefully there's something left to allow you to repair it, but If you are unable to repair it, then you might have to just bypass that connector and run the wire right past it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, took a very strange twist here. I bypassed the connector and that worked great. The driver power window works fine now. Unfortunately, when I was taking off the door panel at some point, I broke off the stupid white piece that retains the cables for the inside door lock/open cables. I threw some duct tape across the cables where they were supposed to be retained....I figured I would just order a new door handle mechanism for the driver door (which would include the cable retainer piece), and put the door back together knowing the inside cable wouldn't work great (the duct tape actually was working decently). Too my suprise, after I shut the door...the outside handle would not open it either? BIG SURPRISE! I know the outside handle will open the door with the inside cables totally disconnected and the door panel completely removed! So, what do you think is happening?
I have 2 theories:
1. The duct tape is preventing the cable from sliding somehow and has caused some sort of malfunction in the overall door handle mechanism.
2. I somehow broke the door handle mechnanism putting the panel back on.The crazy thing is that I have no way to open the door...lol. If I can't open the door, I can't take the door panel off and diagnose it. Crazy.

I think the clip that got broke held the cable in position so now when you lift the door handle the whole cable housing is moving rather than the housing remaining in position and just the cable inside the housing moving to unlatch the door. (If I'm understanding correctly). If this is the case you could try removing a component from the interior door handle so you could reach inside the door with something to hold the cable in position while you attempt to open the door.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It definitely is the retaining clip for the inside door handle cables that I broke. The real question is why doesn't the outside handle work either? I don't think it is mechanically couple to the inside door handle. Only reason I say this is because I was operating the outside door handle just fine last night with the door panel completely off and the inside cables detached and hanging free?What would I be able to remove on the inside door handle to access the cables?

Off hand I am not sure how to go about getting inside that door since I'm not in front of one at the moment, I don't even have access to my repair software for the rest of the day, but is it possible that the door is locked? Do you feel resistance when you lift the handle?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll go mess with it. Not much resistance I can remember. That makes sense....it must be locked...and not able to unlock it due to some reason. I have already tried manipulating the inside door lock, the remote lock, and the key lock. I may have to just rip the inside handle to be able to manually manipulate the cables. I probably will need to replace that part anyways to replace the broken retaining clip.

Sorry about the delay. behind your interior door handle is a plastic trim piece that just pops out. Remove that trim piece and see if you can gain access to the cables like that.. If you also unbolt your arm rest, you will be able to pull the panel away a bit which will give you even more room to work

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is current plan:
1. See how far I can get by removing door panel from inside car with door shut WITHOUT damaging it. I am concerned about not being able to lift it off the top of the door where the window is....I know it sort of hangs on that ledge and locks in there.
2. Use a slim jim to try and unlock it. If I do this, I will open take off the passenger door panel to see the best way to attack it so I don't make it worse by digging with a slim jim.
Thx for your response! I'll let you know how it goes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brian,
Success! I was able to roll down the window and pry off the upper part of the panel and reach in there and activate the door handle cable. I must have screwed things up when I put the duct tape in there. As soon as I got the door open and pulled out the duct tape, the outside door handle started working fine again......regardless if the inside cable was retained or not (as I thought it should). The overall latch mechanism must have been in some state that neither the inside or outside handle would work. As soon as I activated it with the cable, it must have fixed everything. I was able to get a zip tie around the door handle cable and lock it is place pretty solid....so it should work fine until I get the replacement retaining clip.So, my last question for you....any chance you could look up the door/lock handle cable retaining clip Acura part #?

hey, that's great news! Here is a link to a diagram for the door handle and lock system. If you find the broken item in that diagram and look up the number below, the part number beside it is the actual acura OE part number. Hopefully you are able to find it there. Maybe even just buy it there too!

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/2008/acura/mdx/mdx-trim/5-speed-automatic-engine/body-air-conditioning-cat/front-door-locks-outer-handle-scat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I found that same diagram on the net and located that part I needed...so glad to see you confirm I was looking at right diagram. My only concern is that this diagram seems like it is oriented for the passenger front door. I would think that retaining clip would be different for left and right sides due to the way the cable comes from a different direction depending on which side of the car you are on.
Will this work for the driver side?

that's a very good point. I dont think it would matter for that particular part, however i would probably call the dealer and give them the part number and ask them if it's typical between the right and left side. They will have that information right in front of them.