Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech
7276279

Just bought a 2001CL from a friend. The check engine light

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, just bought a 2001CL from a friend. The check engine light was not on, but when I went to smog it, the code P1740 came up... I'm looking for someone to replace the 4th gear thing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Previous owner noticed some slipping... I notice it. car has 155k, trans was replace several years ago... I am 2nd owner CL 3.2 S
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Acura Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
While deciding what my next vehicle will be, I needed transportation, so I recently bought a friend's 2001 CL 3.2S.
Very fun car to drive!
I know he takes excellent care of his cars and we have been friends for over 32 years...So, he knew it had a occasional, minor slipping in the transmission.
Not always, more often when it was cold.
Sometimes on acceleration.
But no check engine light on.So he sold it to me contingent of smog.Now I have engine code P1740 stopping me from getting the car smoked, registered and tagged.(Yes we reset the codes, there was another for evap sensor, drove the car for several days, about 135 miles.
When I had it rechecked, code P1740 comes back.Lucy (the car) has 156k miles, but I know she's got another 100k as long as she gets the care she needs...So, the P1740 chatter online is whether to clean/replace the 3rd and 4th presure switch or not?
And then there was some talk about if you're going to replace those, why not replace "xx" as well...This car is temporary, must decide what I car will work for me and my aging body. And that will probably take me many months, even a a year or so.I need at most 25k miles more out of this beauty...
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Trouble code P1740 is a internal hydraulic problem with the transmission and unfortunately in most case this means the transmission needs to be replaced and or overhauled. There is no sensor that can be replaced to repair this type of problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Ron.What does on overhaul cost approx?
...a new transmission?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

In order to determine the cost you are going to need to contact your dealer for current pricing. I would suspect it going to be more then the car is worth .