George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

Recently i had changed the primary o2 sensor on my 2003

Customer Question

Customer: Hello. Recently i had changed the primary o2 sensor on my 2003 acura rsx automatic base model. Now, I have occassions where my car won't start. I turn the key, and no cranking. I am able to start it if i have rolled my car a short distance. Somehow, it gets the car to start, but not all the time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, there's not much more i can describe. I just turn the ignition on, no cranking occurs, and sometimes i will have a blinking check engine light which then goes away
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Acura Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

You say you roll it and it will crank normally then? How far? three feet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is an automatic transmission. I rolled it about 20 ft in neutral, put it back in park, then it started up. And this was by accident, I just felt like trying the ignition after I moved the car, and it somehow got the car to start

The movement probably jarred the starter to a position where the contacts inside now make contact and it will crank again.

This is a sign the starter motor needs to be replaced, eventually it will just quit for good

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had just changed the starter this year, a duralast brand from autozone. Could the issue be something else?

I have no faith in Autozone parts, gave up using them years ago as I had to do the job over too many times.

You should be able to put a 12 volt testlight on the small wire to the starter, if it shows 12 volts when you turn the key, your battery is charged and the cables are clean and tight then the starter is the problem.

If you do not get 12 volts at the starter wire then there is a neutral/park switch that might be the problem, shift to neutral and see if it will crank there.

Last there is a starter relay that may be failing, jumping the relay pin sockets (larger copper colored pair) with a heavy paperclip will send power to the starter and cause it to run.. You will need to make sure it is being sent the signal from your key switch and if it is then you replace the relay.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed?

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No aftermarket alarm installed. But I have a aftermarket radio and amplifier with subwoofer installed. But I've had this for many years without issues like this occurring. So this has nothing to do with my new o2 sensor for sure correct?

I can't see any way the O2 replacement would have anything to do with it not cranking.

Why was the starter replaced? Same or similar problems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The starter was replaced due to slow cranking to start the car, and at times a slow crank without full turnover

Maybe the root cause was a poor connection that has now shown up as this intermittant? Takes just one time of catching it when it does not crank to see if you have power to the starter or not on the small wire with the key in start position.

Let me know if you can do the testing I outlined above

Thanks