thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

Matt. Issue is 2007 Acura MDX 115k ***** *****, check engine

Customer Question

Customer: Matt. Issue is 2007 Acura MDX 115k ***** *****, check engine warning light throwing P0401 "Check Emissions System" and SH-AWD warning lights.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Last week a family member was driving the car and put a lower than 91 octane grade fuel in the tank. Within 10 ***** ***** the Check Emissions Systems light came on. Since this time 4 full tanks of 93 octane have been used but the Check Emissions systems light still comes back even after being cleared. Last night its return was accompanied by the SH-AWD warning light as well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Acura Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

It was probably a conscience that the adding of 91 octane caused the light to come on.

P0401 is a code for the egr pintle having insufficient lift. The rod in the egr doesn't move up or down enough and the ecm monitors the voltage signal and turns on the light as a result. The sh-awd light will come on because the traction control thinks there is a issue because it senses the slight hesitation in the motor.

the repair is to replace the egr valve and clear the ports of excess carbon. after that clearing the codes and you should be ok from there